Welcome to the Newforma Project Center Outlook Add-In
The Newforma Outlook Add-in integrates Microsoft Outlook with the Newforma app for seamless filing between Outlook items and your projects. It enables you to file email items to a Newforma app project.
In order to utilize the new Newforma Outlook Add-in, users should have Newforma Cloud for authentication and Microsoft 365.
The supported platforms at this time:
● Outlook for 365 Windows and/or Mac
use the desktop client, users need to sign into Office.com, then click
Install Office to install the
desktop client application:
● Outlook Online
● Outlook for iOS
● Outlook for Android
Supported Exchange servers:
● Exchange Online
● Exchange On-Prem (2019 and 2016)
Note that Exchange server support is possible, but not recommended.
The email reading pane must be activated on the right or bottom for the add-in to appear. Otherwise, the user must open each email in order to use/activate the add-in. This is a Microsoft add-in limitation.
To launch the Add-In
1. In the
desktop client, select an email to display the available add-ins in the
ribbon. Click the Newforma icon to launch the add-in:
2. The Newforma
add-in launches. Click Sign In:
3. The Microsoft
Active Directory sign in dialog box appears. The Newforma Outlook add-in
integrates with Active Directory, meaning Newforma adheres to the ever-increasing
need for IT departments to manage user access rights and policies from
Enter your company-issued username and password and log in:
To view project suggestions
As you file an email, the add-in displays a list of suggested projects:
Projects suggestions are based on the following:
● Recent projects
● Internal sender
● External sender
● Body keyword match
● Subject keyword match
Three project suggestions initially appear in the Suggested Projects section of the add-in. Scroll to see additional suggestions.
The more that emails are filed, the more accurate the project suggestions become.
To search for projects
If none of the suggested projects are the project you need, you can search for projects included in your My Projects list. To do so, enter the project name or number in the Search Projects field:
To file an email to a project
Select the project you want to file the email to and click File to Project at the bottom of the add-in. Filed emails display a tag to indicate they have been filed by Newforma.
the Outlook Add-In. Click File Email
and select File as Action Item
from the dropdown menu:
2. The File As Action Item panel opens.
The email's subject appears in the Action
Item Name field, and the body is automatically added to the Description. Any email attachments
are added as supporting documents:
typing in the Project field to
find the project where you want to file the email. The list populates
with projects from your My Projects list. Select the appropriate project
from the list:
4. Once the project is selected, the Type field populates with the available action item types for that project. Select the type from the dropdown as needed.
5. Start typing the name/email of the project team member you want to assign the action item to in the Assigned To field. The Project Team list from the selected project filters based on your entry. You can also enter an email address for someone who is outside the project team. Select the assignee as needed.
6. Click File as Action Item at the bottom of the add-in to file the email and create the action item.
To send and file emails
While composing an email, click the Newforma add-in icon and select the project you want to file to. The add-in and email message show that the email is marked to be filed into the selected project once it is sent:
When selecting a project for send and file, the system starts to make calls to file the email in the background. If the email is saved as a draft or not sent the system can time out. In these cases, the email message will not be filed, even after it has been sent.
Important note for mobile users: The Send and File feature is not available on mobile through the Outlook Mobile client. This is a Microsoft limitation.
Outlook Add-In Settings Menu Options
The Outlook add-in Settings menu allows users to perform the following tasks:
● Open the Newforma web app by clicking Open Newforma;
● Access add-in
● Reset application settings to their defaults.
● Reset filing history. Resetting the filing history clears out the learned criteria for ranking project suggestions.
● Set the desired
deletion behavior once an email is filed. By default, emails are not deleted
Customize Outlook Web Client Actions
In the new Outlook Web UI, by default users must select an email and within the email message select the ellipsis and scroll to the bottom of the dropdown menu to find available/installed add-ins:
You can customize Outlook so that the Newforma Outlook Add-in icon is always available when an email is selected.
To make the Newforma Outlook Add-in icon always available
1. Access Outlook settings and click View All Outlook Settings.
Mail, then click Customize
3. In the Customize Actions panel, scroll down to the Message Surface section. Select the Newforma Cloud checkbox. This ensures that the Newforma Add-in icon is visible when an email in the Inbox is selected.
4. In the
Customize Actions panel, scroll
down to the Toolbar section. Select
the Newforma Cloud checkbox. This
ensures that the Newforma Add-in icon is visible when you compose a new
Launch the Add-in for Outlook Mobile
To launch the Add-in on mobile:
● Select and open an email to view its contents.
● Tap the ellipses
to open the email options and available add-ins:
Table of Contents
Search (English only)